Yields 4 Medium Dessert Bowls
- 2½ cups grated organic carrots/gajar
- 2½ cups almond milk
- 8 tablespoons organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar (add more or less as required)
- ¼ cup almond paste (optional)
- 5 to 6 cardamom pods, powdered or crushed
- 8 to 10 unsalted whole or chopped cashews
- 7 to 8 unsalted pistachios, sliced or chopped
- 12 to 15 golden raisins
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil (sunflower oil)
Wash, peel, and grate the carrots (gajar). Mix the almond milk and grated carrots together in a pan. Keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally.
After 15–20 minutes add cardamom powder and stir. When the mixture starts to thicken, add sugar and oil. Stir and continue to cook.
When the mixture has almost dried, add the almond paste and dry fruits, then stir and cook for 2–3 more minutes.
Serve carrot halwa hot or warm. Stays good in the refrigerator for 3–4 days.
Recipe courtesy of: