- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms
- ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic (approx. ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 garlic cloves crushed in a mortar and pestle)
- ½ teaspoon ajwain or carom seeds
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon organic red chili powder (½ teaspoon red chili powder makes the tikka a bit hot)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoons besan or gram flour
- 1 tablespoon oil (to be used only if grilling or baking the mushrooms in the oven)
- Salt + black salt as required or rock salt
- Chaat masala to sprinkle
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- A few drops of lemon juice as required and lemon wedges to be served
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced with some salt and lemon juice added — served as an accompaniment
Rinse the mushrooms well in water, drain, and wipe dry. Trim the earthy base stalks a little.
In a mixing bowl, take all the mushrooms, then add all the spice powders, carom seeds, salt, and oil. Mix well, and keep aside to marinate for 20–25 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. After 20–25 minutes, add the gram flour and mix well, then bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked, tender, and browned.
If grilling, after 15–20 minutes, you can turn the skewers so that there is uniform grilling. If you wish, you can sprinkle or spray some oil on the mushrooms after 15–20 minutes. Sprinkle some lemon juice, chaat masala, and coriander leaves on the mushroom tikka.
Serve mushroom tikka hot or warm with a green chutney or rotis.
Recipe courtesy of: